Jaguar XKSS , Lohman museum
A total of only 16 Jaguars XKSS, a street version of the legendary D-type, came on the market. In spite of the car’s triumphs Jaguar struggled to sell the last D-types when the factory withdrew from racing in 1956. Hence the decision to convert the remaining cars into a street version, the XKSS.
The car was modified so it would conform to regulations for use on public roads. The rear fin of the D-types was removed as well as the partition between passenger and driver. A windscreen, side windows, a passenger door, chromed bumpers and a canvas hood were added.
Part of the Jaguar factory in Coventry was destroyed by fire in 1957 and a number of XKSSs, both under construction and finished, were lost.